Director Human Resources
Fort Lewis College
Responsible for overseeing the human resource functions of the College, including the centralization, maintenance, and management of all employment records and human resource data; administration of employee relations, benefits, compensation, recruitment, orientation, and training initiatives and programs; management of the Human Resources professional staff; and ensuring College compliance with federal/state employment regulations. This position reports to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, and serves as the principal adviser to the College’s senior management team with regard to human resources policies and personnel-related matters.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in related field.
• Three or more years experience working in higher education in human resources.
• Knowledge of Federal and State payroll laws as well as a working knowledge of processing payroll.
• Knowledge of employment laws including, but not limited to FLSA, ADA, FMLA, COBRA, HIPAA, sexual harassment, AAP, DOT drug testing, I-9 requirements, FCRA.
• Experience in all areas of human resources including benefits, hiring, risk management, retirement, performance plan management and payroll.
• HRIS data management and ability to create a variety of reports.
• Computer skills: Word, Excel, HRIS database experience.
• Master’s Degree and/or PHR/SPHR certification.
• Knowledge of State of Colorado classified system.
• State of Colorado certification in job evaluation/hiring and Personal Services Agreements.
• Knowledge and experience of Ellucian Banner systems.
• Succession plan program development/management.
• Experience with unions and/or partnerships.
• Working knowledge of employee relations mediation/resolution as well as investigations.
• Ability to research, update and write HR policies.
• Excellent organization and supervisory skills, presentation/training skills.
• Demonstrated communication and customer service skills for internal and external customers.
• Budget management and oversight.
• Serve as first point of contact for grievances, conflicts or other employment related matters.
• Investigate grievances and other complaints, make recommendations for resolution.
• Research State of Colorado classified rules and procedures.
• Provide HR counsel to employees, supervisors, Deans, VP's and the President.
• Serve as liaison for the college when legal counsel is involved in HR matters.
• Research and write legal/current policies.
• Serve as Trustee for Colorado Higher Education Insurance Benefits Alliance Trust, the faculty and exempt benefit system. Requires bi-monthly travel.
• Stay informed of legislative changes and modify HR procedures/processes as needed.
• Interpret and implement State and Federal policies and procedures; ensure the college is compliant.
• Supervise HR staff members.
• Audit positions for FLSA compliance.
• Serve as mentor for hiring, benefits, risk management, performance plans, retirement and payroll matters.
• Approve/disapprove background checks.
• Coordinate/present professional development, training opportunities/materials as needed.
• Help facilitate positive work environment incentives, activities and recommendations (work/life, telecommuting, employee counsel activities, staff surveys, etc.).
• Manage budget for the HR office.
• Implement succession planning and other pertinent programs as needed.
• Manage performance plan for State classified and exempt employees.
• Serve as EEO officer for exempt staff and backup for faculty.
• Serve on Health and Safety Committee.
• Work with committees across campus and be a resource for HR related matters.
• Review/approve Personal Services Agreements
• Review/approve Exemption Requests.
• Generate statistical reports for IPEDS, State of Colorado, VETS, AAP, benefits census, institutional trends and numerous other reports as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Competitive salary with a full benefits package is commensurate with experience and education. This is a full-time, 12 month exempt-staff position.
A complete application packet includes:
• Cover letter addressing interest and qualifications for position
• Names and contact information for three current, professional references
Submit materials as one PDF file via email to:
Application materials received by April 12, 2017 will receive full consideration.
Position will remain open until filled.
The successful candidate will be required to submit original, official college transcripts, and pass a background check.
Fort Lewis College does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political beliefs, or veteran status. Accordingly, equal opportunity for employment, admission, and education shall be extended to all persons. The College shall promote equal opportunity, equal treatment, and affirmative action efforts to increase the diversity of students, faculty, and staff.
About Fort Lewis College and Durango:
Fort Lewis College is Colorado's public liberal arts college, offering baccalaureate degree programs in the arts, humanities, social sciences and natural sciences as well as professional programs in applied sciences, teacher education, and business administration. The college has a diverse student body with an enrollment of about 3,800 from 50 states and 17 countries, 30% Native American, and 10% Hispano.
The campus is located on a mesa top at the foothills of the San Juan Mountains as it converges with the desert Southwest. The College contributes directly to the cultural and economic vitality of the area. Durango is the hub of Southwestern Colorado, situated in a beautiful mountain valley with nearby peaks reaching 14,000+ feet. A mild four-season climate allows numerous opportunities for skiing, fishing, biking, golfing, etc. With an area population of 45,000, Durango is cosmopolitan for its size and is served by major airlines with direct connections to Denver, Phoenix, and Dallas. It is 3.5 hours driving distance from Albuquerque, N.M.