Director of Human Resources
The Education Trust
- HR Generalist
- Employee Relations
- Organizational Development
The Education Trust, one of the nation’s premiere education advocacy organizations working to improve educational opportunity and raise achievement for the most vulnerable students including low-income students and students of color, seeks a Director of Human Resources to support the work of the organization’s division of Operations and Strategic Leadership.
Reporting to the Vice President for Operations and Strategic Leadership, the Director of Human Resources will lead the human resources team in overseeing the recruitment and hiring process, benefit administration, employee relations, organizational health and culture, and ensuring smooth internal human resources management on a day-to-day basis.
About the Organization
We are fierce advocates for the high academic achievement of all students – pre-kindergarten through college, particularly those of color or living in poverty. Many organizations speak up for the adults employed by schools; we speak up for the students, especially those whose needs and potential are often overlooked. Through both research and advocacy, our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that consign far too many young people—especially those from low-income families or who are black, Latino, or American Indian—to lives on the margins of the American mainstream. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders across the country in transforming schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our state and national policy agendas. For additional information on The Education Trust, please visit www.edtrust.org.
The Director of Human Resources responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Ensure a strong and effective HR function including developing and implementing a work plan for the human resources team aligned with the organization’s strategic framework and goals;
Serve as a strategic thought partner to recruit and retain top talent; enhance employee engagement and professional development; and effectively handle personnel issues;
Lead the development and implementation of new policies and procedures;
Provide oversight of benefits administration;
Automate and streamline current HR systems, processes, and procedures in order to increase efficiency;
Work with the VP to ensure continuous improvement with regard to organizational health and culture;
Oversee the recruitment and hiring of new staff, including working with hiring managers to determine the staffing needs for their teams, building targeted applicant pools, screening applicants, assessing candidate fit for the organization, determining employment offers to final candidates, and providing support throughout the hiring process as needed.
Provide guidance and support to our state advocacy work including offices in Michigan, New York, and California as needed to ensure consistency and legal compliance of HR policy and procedures throughout the organization. Some travel may be required.
Supervise and develop the human resources team.
Oversee the year-round intern program that adds value to the organization and creates a rewarding experience for our interns.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
A minimum of ten years of experience in a human resources management role.
- Knowledge and experience in employment law; compensation; recruitment; benefit administration; talent management, development, and engagement; and employee relations.
An individual who will foster a culture of engagement and empowerment that values diversity and demonstrates fair and consistent management practices.
A self-starter with a high degree of energy and meticulous attention to detail and follow-through.
Strong team-building and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop professional relationships with staff.
Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate in a tactful, diplomatic manner, while developing trust and credibility with staff at all levels.
Superb organizational and time-management skills.
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook) and familiarity with updating and streamlining database systems. Experience with ADP v.10 or 12 is a plus.
Ability to work independently, prioritize, and manage multiple priorities effectively.
A strong strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to anticipate issues and opportunities and develop appropriate solutions.
- Must be trustworthy, dependable and able to handle highly confidential information with discretion.
- A bachelor’s degree and certification in human resource management preferred. A graduate degree in a related field is a plus.
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them.
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence.
- Healthy respect for colleagues.
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented.
- Strong sense of honor and integrity.
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Assistant Director of Human Resources Jobs
- View more HR Generalist Jobs
- View more Benefits Jobs
- View more Employee Relations Jobs
- View more Employment/Recruitment Jobs
- View more Organizational Development Jobs
- View more The Education Trust Jobs
View More Jobs in Washington, DC:
- View more jobs in Washington, District of Columbia
- Assistant Director of Human Resources jobs in Washington, District of Columbia
- HR Generalist jobs in Washington, District of Columbia
- Benefits jobs in Washington, District of Columbia
- Employee Relations jobs in Washington, District of Columbia
- Employment/Recruitment jobs in Washington, District of Columbia
- Organizational Development jobs in Washington, District of Columbia
- The Education Trust jobs in Washington, District of Columbia
View More Jobs in DC:
- View more jobs in District of Columbia
- Assistant Director of Human Resources jobs in District of Columbia
- HR Generalist jobs in District of Columbia
- Benefits jobs in District of Columbia
- Employee Relations jobs in District of Columbia
- Employment/Recruitment jobs in District of Columbia
- Organizational Development jobs in District of Columbia
- The Education Trust jobs in District of Columbia