Employee Relations Specialist
Crate and Barrel
Northbrook, Illinois 60062
- Employee Relations
Crate and Barrel
- Advise business partners, management and associates in regards to human resources policies and procedures that pertain to Human Resources and employment laws.
- Provide advice and counsel to managers, associates and Human Resource Business Partners regarding associate concerns.
- Assist the Manager of Associate Relations to coordinate, inform and administer HR programs for all associates.
- Maintain confidentiality of personal information through proper record retention and information security.
- Consult with the Legal Department to ensure policies comply with Federal, State and/or Provincial laws.
- Optimize any process related to case resolution, case trends and case tracking to inform training or resource strategy needed within the organization.
- Develop and modify HR process improvements in the area of responsibility to find efficiencies, automation and analysis within associate relations.
- In coordination with the Human Resources Centers of Excellence, develop and leverage human resources-related metrics and reporting to analyze trends and recommend improvements.
- Act as a liaison between management and associates to quickly resolve associate relations issues preventing escalation and potential risk.
- In partnership with the business and/or HR business partners, investigate, advise and resolve associate grievances and concerns.
- Manage and administer the new hire background check program and review/take action on results, as warranted.
- Support all workforce planning initiatives including administration of separation packages as necessary.
- Serve as an expert in the associate relations center of excellence and evaluate the efficiency and implementation of current programs, making suggestions for changes as appropriate.
- Possess a complete understanding of applicable company systems, policies and procedures.
- Focus on consistency and timeliness in responding to concerns and issues, with a focus on documentation.
- Possess project management skills and ability to assess projects, communicate with stakeholders and closely follow established timelines and goals.
- Research, compile and analyze data from records in the Human Resources Department.
- Provide information for file requests to the Human Resources or Legal Department in a timely manner.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with all company associates and business contacts.
- Serve as an expert for elevated investigations and conflict resolution, especially in regards to matters involving alleged discrimination, harassment or legal involvement.
- Coordinate and ensure accommodations are in place for associates who have disabilities or have requested as a member of a protected class (religious, cultural, etc.)
- Manage responses to legal changes in partnership with outside counsel and serve as the primary contact for litigation holds, record retention and fact finding.
- Ability to effectively interact with associates at all levels of the organization.
- Execute special projects or requests in support of the Human Resources Department.
- Manage and monitor associate relationships and mediate conversations with leadership, where needed.
- Assist in training of human resources practices and policies, as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification preferred, or equivalent
- 5 years of Human Resources experience
- Good reading and written language skills (English)
- Effective communication skills and ability to maintain good business relationships
- Strong problem solving skills; able to identify and resolve as well as gather and analyze information
- Exercise judgment/discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Must be able to multi-task effectively
- Proficient with Google platform, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), AS400 a plus