Enterprise Assistant Vice President, HR Talent
University of Virginia
- HR Generalist
- Retail / Wholesale
- EEO/Affirmative Action
- Employee Relations
Enterprise Assistant Vice President, HR Talent
This is a critical moment in the University's Human Resources evolution. The University has embarked on a series of transformative changes for HR that will play out over the next few years and have impact in the coming decade. The University, along with other institutions of higher education, is in the midst of significant workforce changes that began several years ago and is projected to continue for at least the next five years. This is a turning point for a talent professional to lead the University's effort to build and lead the talent strategy of the University for its third century and to help shape UVA's future.
The AVP, HR Talent is a strategic role designed to manage best in class talent services to support the University. This AVP-level position is responsible for leading and overseeing all strategic initiatives across the talent teams serving a broad spectrum of UVA stakeholders and customers. Functions within these teams include talent management, recruitment, and employee relations, as well as pipeline, temporary staffing and flexible talent programs. Reporting to the Chief Human Resource Officer, the AVP, HR Talent is a change catalyst charged with ensuring the organization has the capabilities and capacity to execute the strategic direction of the business, as well as the willingness to integrate feedback quickly to adapt to change.
Successful delivery of the role contributes to an engaging organizational environment that motivates, attracts and retains a diverse and high performing University workforce. The AVP will report to the Chief Human Resource Officer and manage a high performance team of Directors responsible for the comprehensive portfolio of talent services.
To learn more about the HR transformation as well as the competencies expected for all future HR professionals, please visit https://ufirst.virginia.edu/.
The AVP, HR Talent will have opportunities to succeed and contribute to the transformative change within HR in several ways.
Some key priority areas are:
- Develops and drives the talent strategy for the University of Virginia;
- Serves as a subject matter expert and talent leader across a broad spectrum of talent topics such as workforce planning, succession planning, performance management, learning and development, and rewards/recognition;
- Develops and regularly reviews outcome measures against strategy, providing regular reporting to monitor performance against plan and identify areas for action and improvement;
- Provides advice and renders opinions to the CHRO, HR executive team, Deans, Talent CoE leaders and the broader University community. Suggests leading practices and alternatives to address issues and challenges.;
- Identifies hires and rigorously develops talent, serving as a role model in this area across UVA;
- Creates a positive team environment, inspires others by celebrating successes and contributions. Encourages team members to be open and honest in communication, express of all points of view, take initiative, provide feedback on risks, and opportunities and to promote a culture of accountability and growth;
- Establishes goals and performance standards for Talent CoE leaders and works collaboratively across the HR CoEs and across customer groups to achieve overall talent strategy;
- Participates in CHRO Executive meetings to share trends, and provide relevant insights and advice to inform coordinated HR plans and programs for the University; partners with CHRO and HR Leadership; develops and provides reports to the CHRO to cover progress against plan, open issues, plan changes and proposals;
- Establishes standards for in-scope vendor review, selection, and contracting. Reviews all vendor agreements above established threshold to ensure compliance with standards. Supports Talent CoE leaders and team members with vendor negotiations as requested;
- Stays abreast of the scope of compliance requirements for each Talent CoE function and ensures inclusion of compliance measures in CoE goals. Conducts audits on a randomized basis to ensure the accuracy of filings, process, and documentation;
- Proactively presents escalated customer issues, assessing and quickly resolving competing priorities to achieve win-win outcomes;
- Conducts bi-annual planning meetings with each Talent CoE leader to understand needs and requests; outline, discuss and agree on each Talent CoE function's goals, priorities, programs, strategies and plans; as well as the supporting budgets and resource models. Negotiates open items, and comes to agreement;
- Supports Talent CoE function teams access required resources, information, and collaboration opportunities;
- Executes on the University-wide people management process, to include talent selection, reviews, development and deployment decisions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Candidates are expected to have a record of successful HR or talent leadership, preferably in a higher education or health system environment.
A competitive applicant for the AVP, Talent role will have many of the following knowledge areas skills or abilities:
- Experience in a matrixed environment and/or demonstrated success in managing across organizations by using influence versus authority;
- Ability to exercise autonomy, independent judgment and decision-making; providing sound reasoning for recommendations and balancing information to resolve issues and mitigate risk;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including small and large group facilitation capabilities;
- Creative problem solver with a passion for human resources and continuous improvement;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to effectively communicate ideas, to coach and facilitate change at all levels;
- Well-rounded business acumen and sound business judgment, tact and diplomacy;
- Experience interfacing with senior business leaders and working both independently as well as through others;
- Sense of humor appreciated, quick thinking and approachable nature needed;
- Proven ability to develop HR staff and lead teams in a matrix environment;
- Expert influence, negotiation skills and HR Generalist skills in all areas of HR required; must have experience supporting executive level leadership;
- Strong familiarity in the various talent management disciplines to include: recruitment, performance management, learning and development, and employee relationships;
- Successful track record leading and managing a diverse team of professionals;
- Successful track record working effectively with diverse stakeholders within a complex organization;
- Experience managing a broad talent function that serves a varied population.
Required: 10 years of relevant experience, including at least 5 years in a people management role, Bachelor's degree
Preferred: Master's degree (MBA or relevant graduate degree); HR experience with Higher Education and/or Health System, PHR/SPHR or other Human Resource certification
Preferred Computer Applications: Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and demonstrated experience with HRMS such as Workday, PeopleSoft HR, Oracle, SAP, etc.
Nominations, expressions of interest, and applications (including a cover letter and CV) should be submitted via email to email@example.com.
Recruitment is confidential and will continue until the position is filled.
The position will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Assistant Vice President Jobs
- View more Engineering Jobs
- View more Legal Jobs
- View more HR Generalist Jobs
- View more Retail / Wholesale Jobs
- View more Communications Jobs
- View more Diversity Jobs
- View more EEO/Affirmative Action Jobs
- View more Employee Relations Jobs
- View more Training/Development Jobs
- View more University of Virginia Jobs
View More Jobs in Charlottesville, VA:
- View more jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Assistant Vice President jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Engineering jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Legal jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
- HR Generalist jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Retail / Wholesale jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Communications jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Diversity jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
- EEO/Affirmative Action jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Employee Relations jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Training/Development jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
- University of Virginia jobs in Charlottesville, Virginia
View More Jobs in VA:
- View more jobs in Virginia
- Assistant Vice President jobs in Virginia
- Engineering jobs in Virginia
- Legal jobs in Virginia
- HR Generalist jobs in Virginia
- Retail / Wholesale jobs in Virginia
- Communications jobs in Virginia
- Diversity jobs in Virginia
- EEO/Affirmative Action jobs in Virginia
- Employee Relations jobs in Virginia
- Training/Development jobs in Virginia
- University of Virginia jobs in Virginia