Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- Employee Relations
- Health, Safety, Security
ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA SORORITY, INC.
IS SEEKING A HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR
The Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is seeking an experienced, hands-on Human Resources Leader and Senior Manager for its Corporate Office, located in Chicago, Illinois. The Human Resources Director (HRD) is responsible for the management of all human resources matters of the Sorority. The position will report to the Executive Director and work closely with International Human Resources Committee.
The HRD is responsible for performing a variety of management, administrative, technical, and professional duties in administering and managing personnel functions to include: recruitment process, salary administration, payroll processing, termination process, employee relations, benefits administration, employee orientation, training, worker's compensation and compliance of federal employment guidelines. Specific responsibilities include advertising, recruiting, interviewing, records maintenance of benefits coverage, 401(k) and pension plan, personnel transactions, performance reviews, training, disciplinary actions and employee terminations. Supervisory responsibilities may be required.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated (AKA), an international service organization, is the oldest Greek-lettered organization, established by African-American college-educated women, founded on the campus of HowardUniversity in Washington, D.C. in 1908. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority fulfills its mission of “Service to All Mankind” with a membership of 290,000 graduate and undergraduate members and 1,005 chapters in the United States, the Bahamas, U. S. Virgin Islands, Canada, Japan, Germany, South Korea, Bermuda, Liberia, South Africa and Dubai (UAE). The corporate structure of the Sorority includes a Board of Directors (The Directorate) of elected and appointed officers, led by the International President, Dorothy Buchanan Wilson; ten regions, each led by a Regional Director; and the Corporate Office, led by the Executive Director. For more information regarding the Sorority, go to www.aka1908.com.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate must possess critical HR competencies and have extensive experience as a Human Resources (HR) leader or senior manager. As a strategic and business HR partner, the HRD will link human resources with the strategic and business goals and objectives of the corporate office of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. As an employee advocate, the HRD will administer fair and equitable employment practices and provide a trusting and confidential environment in which employees are treated with dignity and respect, and their voices are heard. As an expert in HR processes and practices, the HRD will confront and solve problems knowledgeably, creatively and ethically, comply with state, federal and local laws and demonstrate knowledge and experience in developing and delivering competitive employee benefits and compensation.As a change agent, the HRD will help the organization build capacity for change and assist in the organizational change transformation and coping skills. This team player will possess outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and consensus building qualities and will be able to work collaboratively with the Office of the International President, Executive Director, Board of Directors, International Human Resources Committee and other department heads.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and required skills of personnel so classified.
- Monitors adherence to safety regulations, to include OSHA Laws, Workers Compensation, EEO/Affirmative Action, ADA/Employment/Labor Laws, FLSA, COBRA, HIPAA and FMLA.
- Manages the confidentiality of all employee information and exercises good judgment and discretion.
- Ensures compliance with personnel policies and procedures.
- Investigates and recommends action regarding employee complaints, to include harassment, discrimination, compensation and/or wage and hour issues.
- Assists in hiring process by coordinating job postings, reviewing resumes, and performing initial employment screenings.
- Responsible for administering leave policy and maintaining leave accrual balances.
- Conducts new hire orientations and exit interviews.
- Maintains personnel files.
- Investigates accidents and prepares reports for insurance carrier.
- Facilitates annual open enrollment activities for Corporate Staff.
- Coordinates with insurance, retirement and health related vendors to ensure timely reconciliation.
- Responsible for organizing quarterly management meetings with benefits vendor to receive updated information on benefit trends and investment portfolios.
- Processes and manages monthly premium payments to vendors in a timely manner.
- Administers educational assistance program, and assists employees with required paperwork to initiate repayment of related educational expenses.
- Collects and approves time sheets for payroll processing; electronic processing of payroll to include; data input and updating systems information.
- Provides supervisory oversight as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, Business, Industrial Relations or related field is required
- Professional in Human Resources Certification (PHR)
- Senior Professional in Human Resources Certification (SPHR) is preferred
- Five years of demonstrable management experience in human resources in an agency of 50 or more employees
- ADP payroll processing experience, preferred
- MS Office proficiency required with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook
- Strong organizational skills; ability to multi-task and perform under pressure
Broad knowledge of functional HR areas to include, compensation, benefits, recruiting and organizational development
Must have ability to develop, revise and implement HR policies and procedures
Must be familiar with HR information systems
- Must be team oriented
- Ability to meet deadlines with demonstrable time management skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to execute with tact and diplomacy
- Perform special projects as assigned
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekends, and travel, as required.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary for this position is negotiable depending on qualifications and experience. The Sorority also offers an excellent benefit package.
All interested candidates should submit their application, resume and three references to HRDirectorposition@aka1908.comby April 1, 2017.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Human Resources Director Jobs
- View more Administrative Jobs
- View more Benefits Jobs
- View more Employee Relations Jobs
- View more Training/Development Jobs
- View more Health, Safety, Security Jobs
- View more Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Jobs
View More Jobs in Chicago, IL:
- View more jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Human Resources Director jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Administrative jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Benefits jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Employee Relations jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Training/Development jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Health, Safety, Security jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. jobs in Chicago, Illinois