Human Resources Business Partner
Gilbane Building Company
- HR Generalist
- Employee Relations
- Organizational Development
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Human Resources Business Partner will work alongside leadership, in our O’Hare office location serving the Central/Midwest Division, both as a business partner and thought partner to build a strategy that factors in our internal resources, recruiting, and retention.
In this highly visible role as a HR Business Partner (HRBP), you will serve as a trusted thought-partner to the business unit as you work alongside them to develop and implement strategy in all areas of the talent life cycle (including performance management, employee relations, change management, learning and development, compensation, and recruitment). You will support the leadership of assigned client groups in our Chicago/Cleveland/Columbus/Milwaukee offices. You will bring your understanding of the operations in each business function as you coach and advise them accordingly to support their business outcomes, increase employment engagement, and support long-term talent retention strategies.
This position is a combination of providing strategic client advice with "hands-on" execution of day-to-day operational human resources functions. You will be recognized by clients and peers as an experienced HR expert with broad expertise. This role is that of a relationship-builder with staff across the organization. We will look to you to stay abreast of current and emerging HR trends and practices as you build your reputation as a go-to HR partner who provides sound advice and coaching.
Responsibilities as the HR Business Partner
- Serve as a strategic partner and workforce planner. You will serve as a primary contact and advisor for designated business units. You will work in close partnership with your clients, develop an in-depth understanding of each client’s business, and use industry practices and HR strategies to identify and resolve issues related to staffing, retention, performance, succession planning, and team member development. You will help establish staffing levels, skills mix, and work force diversity.
- Monitor performance and support team member development. You will advise managers and support staff in proactive performance management throughout the year (including coaching, counseling, career development, and disciplinary actions). You will counsel managers, leaders, and team members on leveraging Gilbane Univeristy, career mobility and advancement, development opportunities, and the identification of team and individual learning and development needs.
- Manage employee relations. You will advise management and leadership on the resolution of employee relations issues for designated business units. You will investigate, resolve, and document employee relations issues including disciplinary actions, performance, and union relations. You will maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements relating to day-to-day HR management (reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance).
- Facilitate change management. You will work in close collaboration with other HR partners to carefully monitor, develop, and implement change management strategies that facilitate a high performing culture which can adapt to change.
- Collaborate with HR colleagues. You will work closely with your Gilbane colleagues in Talent Acquisition, Compensation, Compliance, Benefits, HRIS, and Operations to facilitate the seamless integration of talent full life cycle service delivery and HR administration for designated business departments.
- College Hire/Intern Program - You will oversee and execute the college/intern recruiting program for designated business units to ensure hiring and diversity goals are achieved.
- Manage projects. As needed, you will manage or lead HR specific initiatives, projects, or process improvements. You will facilitate action plans and monitor progress while coordinating efforts between the Chicago/Milwaukee/Cleveland/Columbus offices to ensure consistency in implementation.
Qualifications of the Senior HR Business Partner
- Minimum of 7 years in professional human resources experience.
- Prior experience in the A/E/C industry is preferable/
- Demonstrated ability to independently resolve complex problems through innovative HR solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a high volume work flow and drive for results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to present at management meetings and independently facilitate/lead manager and employee discussions.
- Strong working knowledge and depth of multiple HR disciplines (recruitment, compensation practices, employee relations, immigration, OFCCP compliance, performance management, and domestic (U.S.) employment-related laws, etc.).
- Significant experience developing and maintaining client relationships in the face of conflicting demands.
- Ability to tailor HR advice to client needs and present information to clients that considers business impacts and articulates the benefits for stakeholders.
- Proven business analytical skills and experience utilizing critical thinking to help clients identify issues and trends, and develop solutions and/or recommendations that reflect a balance of meeting business objectives and talent management considerations.
- Ability to travel occasionally (1-2/month) to meet with leaders/employees in other office/project locations.
At Gilbane we’re building more than buildings, we’re helping create schools, hospitals, laboratories and other facilities across the United States and throughout the world that will be helping people live better for decades to come. As a fifth generation family business we’ve built the best team in the industry with a culture of caring that treats every one of our employees as a trusted member of the Gilbane family. We also invest in our employees’ education and have built Gilbane University into the top training organization in the construction industry. If you have the desire to make a real difference in people’s lives and become part of a growing organization that treats you like member of the family – you will feel right at home at Gilbane.
Excellent total compensation package which includes competitive health and welfare benefits, generous profit-sharing/401k plan, as well as technical and management training programs.
Gilbane is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Gilbane has an unwavering focus on safety, the environment and caring about everyone involved in our work.
Qualified applicants who are offered a position must pass a pre-employment substance abuse test.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Human Resources Jobs
- View more HR Generalist Jobs
- View more Employee Relations Jobs
- View more Employment/Recruitment Jobs
- View more Training/Development Jobs
- View more Organizational Development Jobs
- View more Gilbane Building Company Jobs
View More Jobs in Chicago, IL:
- View more jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Human Resources jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- HR Generalist jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Employee Relations jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Employment/Recruitment jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Training/Development jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Organizational Development jobs in Chicago, Illinois
- Gilbane Building Company jobs in Chicago, Illinois