Part-Time Human Resource Generalist
- HR Generalist
The American Association of Post-Acute Care Nursing is the umbrella organization for AANAC and AADNS.
The American Association of Nurse Assessment Coordination (AANAC) is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to supporting long-term care nurses and professionals who provide quality care for nursing home residents across the nation. Since our founding in 1999, AANAC has earned the reputation as the premier resource and network for long-term care professionals involved in the RAI/MDS process. Now with more than 14,700 members, AANAC is committed to the success of the entire interdisciplinary team and delivers accurate and timely information, educational opportunities, advocacy in legislation, and a peer community of support.
The American Association of Directors of Nursing Services (AADNS) is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to leading and empowering DONs/DNSs with best-in-class education, resources, legislative representation, and a strong collaborative community that advocates for and ensures resident-directed long-term and post-acute care communities.
During a series of Nurse Leadership Summits convened during 2015, nurse leaders across the country identified the need for a strong national professional nursing association that would empower nurses as leaders, lead the change for a new care delivery model, and elevate the voice of our profession. In March 2016, AADNS launched with the objective to meet these needs and to advance resident-directed care.
This position requires a thorough understanding of human resources policy, labor law, and employment best practices. This position also requires excellent interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and maintain high attention to detail.
Decision-making: Decisions made are at a defined level and are based on existing policies and procedures. The generalist will work closely with the management team to make suggestions or recommendations to alter or improve upon existing operations as needed. Decisions made may affect budgets and operating expenses.
Complexity: Requiring a working knowledge of HR principles and skills, the generalist must demonstrate appropriate problem solving, forward-thinking attitude, and knowledgeable judgment based on experience or research.
% of time spent
Maintaining employee records
Payroll processes, benefits administration and retirement plan administration
Advising staff and management on HR processes and labor law
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Maintaining employee records
- Manage the background check process for all potential new employees
- Complete the on-boarding process for new employees to gather needed payroll and benefit information
- Maintain all forms for status change, employee discipline, etc. with confidentiality
- Maintain all personnel files to be kept in locked drawer after hours
- By-weekly, receive and reconcile timesheets/time studies from all employees in time to enter payroll
- Reconcile PTO requests and timesheets/time studies, then enter payroll through the online system
- Ensure all payroll information for each employee is current including annual W-4 forms
- Maintain accurate employee records within the payroll system
- Review quarterly reports generated by payroll company for accuracy and completeness
- Work with accounting to manage payroll taxes, including setting up withholding accounts for remote employees in other states
- Forward payroll reports to COO for review and to the accounting department for entry in to financial records
- Handle all correspondence with benefit providers, including all new additions and terminations, or changes to policy.
- Obtain the proper forms from employees for additions to the health and dental insurance and either send them in or enter the information on the website.
- Maintain the records and payments for the TIAA-CREF retirement fund
General HR Support to Management
- Identifies legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensures policies, procedures and reporting are in compliance.
- Assists managers in recruitment processes, including helping create/revise job descriptions, posting open positions and gathering applicant information
- Plans on-boarding and orientation for new employees
- Advises management in appropriate resolution of employee relations issues
- Prepares employee separation notices and related documentation, and conducts exit interviews as appropriate
- Serve as a liaison between employees and management when needed
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs workflows and procedures
- Problem Solving - identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics; works well in group problem solving situations
- Interpersonal – focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality, keeps emotions under control
- Oral Communication – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; participates in meetings
- Quality Management – looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Diversity – demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment; builds a diverse workforce
- Ethics – treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values
- Organizational Support – follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments
- Judgment – displays a willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; two years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- PHR or SHRM certification preferred
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, and percentages
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software and Payroll systems.
- Assigned days and times within a Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. work week
- Occasional evening or weekend work as workload demands
- General office working conditions
AAPACN offers a generous benefits package for part-time employees to include paid time off accrual after completing 60 days of employment and paid holidays that fall on regularly scheduled work days Other benefits may apply depending on the regularly scheduled number of hours per week. Retirement benefits with company match apply after one full calendar year of service.
Interested parties should submit a cover letter, including the acknowledgment that this is an application for a part-time position, along with an updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.